The Mail app on Mac is a powerful and versatile tool that allows you to manage your emails with ease. Whether you want to change the appearance, behavior, or functionality of the app, you can customize it to suit your preferences and needs. But did you know that you can also customize your Mail app to suit your needs and preferences?
In this article, we will show you how to customize your Mail app on Mac in various ways, such as customize your mail app toolbar, adjust the email font size, customize list preview, Show or Hide Your Favorites Bar, Adjust the Mail App Layout, and syncing your mail accounts and preferences.
Why Customize Your Mail App on Mac?
The Mail app on Mac comes with a default set of settings and features that may not suit everyone’s needs and preferences. For example, you may not like the way the Mail app displays your messages, or you may want to have more control over how your messages are sorted and filtered.
You may also want to add some personal touches to your emails, such as signatures and stationery, or change the way the Mail app notifies you of new messages. Customizing your Mail app on Mac allows you to tailor it to your liking and make it work better for you.
How to Customize Your Mail App on Mac
Customize Your Mail App Toolbar
The Mail app on your Mac comes with a toolbar that provides easy access to common actions like composing, archiving, and deleting emails. However, you have the flexibility to personalize this toolbar according to your preferences. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Mail app on your Mac.
- Click on the “View” option in the menu bar and select “Customize Toolbar” from the dropdown menu.
- A window will appear, allowing you to choose and rearrange items for your Mail app’s toolbar.
- Drag and drop your desired actions into the toolbar.
- To save your changes, click “Done.”
- If you ever want to revert to the original layout, simply drag the default toolbar from the bottom of the window into your current toolbar to reset all customizations.
Adjust the Email Font Size
When you first use the Mail app on your Mac, you might find that the email text appears smaller than you’d like. You can easily make the font larger by following these steps:
- Launch the Mail app and go to “Mail” > “Settings” in the menu bar.
- Navigate to the “Fonts & Colors” tab at the top of the settings window.
- Click on “Select” next to the font you want to modify.
- Adjust the font size by changing the value under the “Size” column on the right side.
- Close the settings window when you’re satisfied with the font size.
You can also use the same steps to customize the font style and colors to suit your preferences.
Customize List Preview
Apple’s Mail app allows you to preview your emails without opening them, which can be quite handy. By default, you see a preview of the first few lines of each new message, but you can change this to display a preview of up to five lines. Here’s how:
- Click on “Mail” in the menu bar and select “Settings.”
- Go to the “Viewing” tab.
- Click the dropdown menu next to “List preview.”
- Choose the number of lines you want for the preview, and then close the settings window.
Adjust the Mail App Layout
The default layout of the Mail app displays your inbox on the left and a preview of the selected email on the right. While this layout works for some users, you can change it to have the preview at the bottom of the window instead. Here’s how:
- With the Mail app open, click on “View” in the menu bar.
- Select “Show Bottom Preview” from the dropdown menu.
- To revert to the original view, repeat these steps and choose “Show Side Preview.”
Show or Hide Your Favorites Bar
Apart from the sidebar and toolbar, the Mail app also features a Favorites bar that allows quick access to your favorite mailboxes. By default, this bar is hidden, but you can easily reveal it. Here’s how:
- Click on “View” in the menu bar and select “Show Favorites Bar” to make it visible.
- To hide the Favorites bar again, repeat the same steps and choose “Hide Favorites Bar.”
- These straightforward actions can help you tailor the Mail app on your Mac to better suit your preferences and workflow.
Benefits of Customizing Your Mail App on Mac
- Improving your workflow and efficiency by changing the layout and appearance of the Mail app to suit your style and preferences.
- Organizing your messages better by managing your mailboxes and folders, and setting up rules and filters to sort and categorize your messages automatically.
- Enhancing your communication and professionalism by adding signatures and stationery to your emails, which can include your name, contact information, logo.
- Reducing distractions and interruptions by adjusting notifications and sounds for the Mail app, so you can choose when and how you want to be alerted of new messages.
- Syncing your mail accounts and preferences across your devices by using iCloud or other services, so you can access your emails from anywhere and have a consistent experience.
MacOS Sonoma is the latest version of Apple’s operating system for Mac computers. Before you install macOS Sonoma, you should follow these five steps to ensure a smooth and successful installation process to know that read 5 Things to do Before Installing macOS Sonoma.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Mail app on Mac is a powerful and versatile tool that lets you send and receive emails with ease and convenience. However, you can also customize your Mail app on Mac in various ways to make it more efficient, productive, and enjoyable to use.
By changing the layout and appearance, managing your mailboxes and folders, setting up rules and filters, adding signatures and stationery, adjusting notifications and sounds, and syncing your mail accounts and preferences, you can tailor your Mail app on Mac to suit your needs and preferences. Try customizing your Mail app on Mac today and see how it can improve your email experience.