iOS 17 is the latest version of Apple’s operating system for iPhones, and it comes with many new features and improvements. One of these features is Namedrop, which lets you easily share your contact information with another iPhone by just holding them close.
This can be a convenient way to exchange phone numbers, email addresses, social media handles, and more with someone you meet. Namedrop offers effortless contact exchange, but some prefer disabling it in iOS 17. Learn what Namedrop is, why to turn it off, and how to iOS 17 Turn Off Contact Sharing how in this article.
What is NameDrop?
NameDrop is a new feature in iOS 17 that allows you to share your contact information with another iPhone user by simply holding the top of your phone near theirs. It is a convenient and fast way to exchange phone numbers, email addresses, and other details without typing or scanning anything.
NameDrop uses AirDrop technology to securely transfer your contact card to the other person’s device. You can also choose which fields you want to include or exclude from your contact card before sharing it. NameDrop is designed to replace the need for physical business cards and make networking easier and more efficient.
How Does NameDrop Work?
NameDrop is a new feature in iOS 17 that allows you to share your contact information with another iPhone user by simply holding the top of your device near theirs. It works by using AirDrop, a wireless technology that lets you transfer files and data between nearby Apple devices. Here’s how NameDrop works:
- First, you need to enable AirDrop on your iPhone. You can do this by going to Settings > General > AirDrop, then selecting Everyone for 10 Minutes.
- Next, you need to make sure your iPhone is awake, meaning the screen is on or unlocked. If your iPhone is asleep, NameDrop won’t work.
- Then, you need to move the top of your iPhone towards the top of the other person’s iPhone. You should see a glow emerge from the top of both devices, indicating that a connection is being made.
- After that, you should see NameDrop appear on both screens. You and the other person can then choose one of the following options: Receive Only, which means you will receive their contact card; or Share.
- To cancel, you can move the two devices away from each other before NameDrop completes.
Note: NameDrop only works for sending new contact information, not updating an existing contact. You can also use the Contacts app to share your or another person’s contact information using Messages, Mail, or another option.
How to iOS 17 Turn Off Contact Sharing
iOS 17 Turn Off Contact Sharing is very easy and quick. You don’t have to disable AirDrop completely, as NameDrop is a separate feature that can be turned on or off independently. Here are the steps to follow:
- Step 1: First, Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Step 2: click on General and then, Tap on AirDrop.
- Step 3: Turn off the Bringing Devices Together toggle.
That’s it! You have successfully iOS 17 Turn Off Contact Sharing. Now, your iPhone will not send or receive NameDrop requests, and your contact poster will not appear on other devices. There is another feature of iOS 17 like this FaceTime reaction effects to know more read how to repair FaceTime reaction effects not working on iOS 17.
How to Turn on Contact Sharing in iOS 17
If you change your mind and want to use NameDrop again, you can easily turn on contact sharing in iOS 17 by following the same steps as above, but turning on the Bringing Devices Together toggle instead. Make sure you also have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on, and your AirDrop setting is set to Everyone or Contacts Only. Then, you can start sharing your contact information with other iPhone users by bringing your devices together.
To turn on contact sharing in iOS 17, you need to enable NameDrop, a new feature that lets you share your contact information with another iPhone user by bringing the top of your iPhone near the top of theirs. You also need to enable name and photo sharing for your contact card. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and go to General > AirDrop.
- Turn on the toggle switch for Bringing Devices Together. This will enable NameDrop, the feature that allows contact sharing in iOS 17.
- Open the Phone app on your iPhone and go to Contacts > Your Card.
- Tap on Contact Photo & Poster and make sure that Name & Photo Sharing is turned on.
- You can also customize your contact poster by choosing a photo, emoji, and adding a name and a status.
Frequently Asked Questions
NameDrop is a new feature in iOS 17 that lets you share your contact information with another iPhone user by bringing the top of your iPhone near the top of theirs. It’s handy for swapping phone, email, social media, etc. However, not everyone may want to use this feature, or may want to disable it in certain situations.
In this article, we explained what NameDrop is, why you may want to iOS 17 turn Off Contact Sharing, and how to do it. We hope you found this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below.