Imagine you could ask Google any question and get a concise and coherent answer, not just a list of links. Imagine you could explore any topic in depth by asking follow-up questions and getting more relevant information. Imagine you could switch languages and listen to the answers with a tap of a button. Sounds too good to be true, right?
Well, not anymore. Google has introduced a new way to search with generative AI, called Search Generative Experience (SGE). SGE is powered by generative AI, which is a type of AI that can create new content or data from existing ones, such as text, images, videos, etc.
What is Google Search Generative AI Experience?
“Google uses AI in products like Gmail, Maps, and Search. They aim to improve the search experience with natural and intuitive features, introducing Search Generative Experience (SGE) to assist users, especially newcomers overwhelmed by online information.”
Search Generative Experience (SGE) is an opt-in experiment that Google is rolling out in India and Japan, making them the first countries outside the US to receive the new search feature. SGE is powered by generative AI, which is a type of AI that can create new content or data from existing ones, such as text, images, videos.
Features of Search Generative Experience
- AI-generated overviews: SGE offers dynamic summaries on topics, adapting based on user input and web sources.
- Follow-up questions: Users can explore topics further with suggested or custom questions, with answers adapting to context.
- Language toggle and text-to-speech: SGE is available in English and Hindi, with plans for voice search.
SGE will display an AI-generated answer above the search results listings, which will include factors to consider, such as difficulty level, duration, season. and pointers to explore more, such as popular treks, travel guides, blogs. The answer will also cite the websites that it used to generate the answer, which users can click on to learn more.
How to opt-in for Search Generative Experience?
SGE is an opt-in experiment that Google is rolling out in India and Japan, making them the first countries outside the US to receive the new search feature. Users who want to try this new experience need to enable SGE in Search Labs, which is a platform where Google tests new features and collects feedback from users.
- Open Google Search on Chrome desktop or on the latest version of the Google app (Android or iOS).
- Tap on the Labs icon at the Top right corner of the screen.
- Click the toggle button next to the line that says, “When turned on, SGE may appear when you search”.
- Read the Terms of Service for the experiment and if you agree, select “I agree“.
- Then click Try an Example.” Enjoy the new way to search with generative AI.
- Users can also disable SGE anytime by tapping on the Labs icon again and turning it off.
How to use Search Generative Experience?
Using SGE is similar to using Google Search, except that users will get an AI-generated answer above the search results listings for some queries. Users can also ask follow-up questions and explore more with links. Here are some examples of how to use SGE:
- Ask a question: Users can type or speak questions to get AI-generated answers with relevant pointers and sources.
- Ask follow-up questions: Users can delve deeper by typing or tapping suggested questions for more detailed answers.
- Switch languages: SGE supports English and Hindi, allowing users to toggle between languages.
- Listen to answers: Users can hear answers using text-to-speech by tapping the listen button.
Benefits of Generative AI in Search
Google says that this powerful new technology can unlock entirely new types of questions that one never thought Search could answer. For example, SGE can answer questions like “What are some pros and cons of buying a house vs renting?”, “How do I start learning guitar?”, or “What are some tips for planning a trip to Goa?”.
These are complex and open-ended questions that require synthesizing information from multiple sources and presenting them in a concise and coherent way. SGE can do that by using natural language processing (NLP) and natural language generation (NLG) techniques, which enable it to understand human language and produce human-like text.
Generative AI in Search adds engagement and natural conversation. Users can ask follow-up questions effortlessly. For example, after learning about beginner treks in Himachal, users can inquire about Spiti Valley or booking guides. SGE generates context-aware answers and additional resources.
Discover more on our blog, where we share tips and tutorials about “Google Safe Search Settings: Blurred Explicit Images in Search Results” Whether you are a beginner or experienced, we have got you covered with valuable insights on the “Google Safe Search Settings: Blurred Explicit Images in Search Results.”
Limitations and Challenges of Search Generative Experience
SGE is an experimental feature that Google is testing with users in India and Japan. It is not a final product or service, but rather a prototype that showcases what generative AI can do for Search. As such, it has some limitations and challenges that need to be addressed before it can become a mainstream feature of Google Search. Some of them are:
- Quality and accuracy of AI-generated answers: SGE’s AI answers may not always be reliable, so users should verify information from other sources.
- Privacy and security of user data: SGE collects data but follows privacy policies and uses security measures to protect it.
- Ethical and Social impacts of generative AI: SGE’s use raises questions about information quality, source credibility, and ethical implications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Google Search Generative AI is a new way to search with generative AI that Google is testing with users in India and Japan. It provides users with an overview of key information on a topic they are searching for, along with links to dig deeper. Users can also ask follow-up questions and explore more with links.
SGE is available in English and Hindi, where users can toggle between the languages and listen to the answers. Users can opt-in for SGE in Search Labs, which is a platform where Google tests new features and collects feedback from users. SGE is an experimental feature that showcases what generative AI can do for Search.